Mt. Kailash Saga Dawa Festival tour is the biggest annual festival in Tibet which is celebrated in Mt. Kailash on the full moon day of the 4th lunar month according to the Tibetan calendar. This festival holds an important place in the Buddhist society of Tibet. This festival is dedicated to Sakyamuni Buddha and his enlightenment. This festival falls on April 15th of the Tibetan Calendar during which Tibetan Buddhists enjoy great fun and excitement.
Saga Dawa Festival celebrates the birth, enlightenment, and death of Lord Buddha who attained Buddhahood at the age of 35. During their death, Buddha instructed his followers to obey his practices and teachings to celebrate his nirvana rather than crying and mourning for his death. This is why the Saga Dawa festival is celebrated with great happiness and victory.
If you visit Tibet during this time, then not only Mt. Kailash but the rest of the other parts also indulge in festive life. You can participate in the crowd of Dzongyab Lukhang Park at the foot of Potala Palace which is like a picnic and is organized annually. Similarly, in Jokhang Temple also a lot of people gather and celebrate this day.
Saga Dawa Festival Tour begins from sightseeing in Kathmandu city. The guided tour to Mt. Kailash provides you the best of Nepal by taking you around the UNESCO Listed World Heritage Sites of Kathmandu valley. You will explore Pashupatinath, Swayambhunath, Bouddhanath, etc., and make your Kailash Pilgrimage tour more exciting.
After short sightseeing in the city, we will drive inside the Langtang National Park and reach Kerung by crossing the Nepal-Tibet border and arrive at Kerung. From Kerung, we will drive alongside the villages such as Saga, Manasarovar, Darchen, etc. with the stunning glimpse of sacred Mt. Kailash, Mt. Gurula-Mandala, Manasarovar Lake, Rakshas Lake, etc.
From day 9, we will start our 3 days long Kailash Kora. The major attractions of the Saga Dawa Festival Tour include the sacred peak of Kailash, Holy Lake of Manasarovar, the highest pass of Drolma La, Milarepa Cave, etc.
Saga Dawa Festival Tour has been celebrated in Mt. Kailash for the last 1000 years. Participating in this festival just once in a lifetime is such a wonderful experience which can't be replaced by any other tours. Greater Himalaya has been organizing this tour for several years. We will arrange the Saga Dawa Festival Tour with our experienced guides and staff to make your pilgrimage tour successful. Please register your seat and join us for this cultural and adventurous journey.
Saga Dawa Festival Celebration
During the Saga Dawa Festival tour, you can witness Tarboche Flagpole being replaced. People from all around Tibet and other countries join this festival by carrying small prayer flags and they attach them with big flags. The Lama from the nearby monastery recites the mantras which make this festival more wonderful to watch. People walk around the flagpole by burning juniper branches. From the flagpole, all the old flags are removed and new ones are added.
Visitors attach their flags on the flagpole and receive blessings from the pole. After the replacement of the flags, the flagpole is re-set to its upper position. The flagpole is 25m long and it is believed that it should be placed straight upright and if it bends only a little, then Tibet will be in trouble. During this time, some people join the procession of monks by walking around the flagpole and some people take the 52km Kora around Mt. Kailash.
Mt. Kailash Saga Dawa Festival Tour Highlights
• Strolling around the bustling tourism hub of Nepal - Thamel and Indra Chowk (Ason)
• Exploring the UNESCO Listed World Heritage Sites and stepping inside its historical palace
• Crossing the Friendship Bridge via Rasuwagadhi border
• Stunning views of Langtang and Ganesh Himal from Kerung town
• Enjoying the glimpse of Mt. Kailash, Mt. Gurula-Mandala, and Rakshas Lake
• Taking continuous 3-days of kora at the holy land of Mt. Kailash
• Crossing the high challenging pass - Drolma La Pass
• Participate in Mantras chanting, Cham dances, and other religious activities
• Explore Mt. Kailash and Mansarovar Tour during Saga Dawa Festival
• Be part of Tarboche Flagpole replacement and walk around the pole by attaching the new flag
• Explore vibrant communities indulge in Tibetan arts, crafts, history, culture, tradition, and lifestyle.
• Explore indigenous culture on the Saga Dawa Festival Tour